Saturday, May 5, 2012

Far, far too long.

It has been ages since I've posted anything garden related here.  Last weekend I joined the Tower Hill Botanic Gardens in Boylston, MA.  Each year I try and support a local museum or botanic garden and this year it is Tower Hill.  Ultimately, my goal is to spend more time among plants and have the opportunity to learn more about photography.  Above is one of the pictures I took during the visit.

I also went hunting for local wildflowers during a hike here in town.  My luck wasn't so good as we've had a dry early spring.  I did come across wood anemone, however, and managed to get a decent picture.

Beyond this, my gardening enjoyment is limited to planters out on the apartment deck railing--herbs this year--and visiting botanic gardens.

Recommended Plant:
False Hellebore, Veratrum viride.  Also called Indian Poke or Indian Hellebore.  This native plant prefers damp soils and is often found along streams or in marshy fields.  The bright green leaves offer amazing texture in the early garden.  The flowers appear on tall stalks and are similar in color to the leaves.  I've never had the opportunity to grow this myself, but when the time comes I hope to give it a try.  If you're looking for a replacement for Hosta or similar shade/damp tolerant perennial, try this one out.


No comments: